12 months ago

EnempE

Lanero Reconocido
13 May 2003
1 year ago I trotted around the happy land of south america.

This is kinda for Kreig and those who helped me, but you are all welcome to read.

I had a great time doing it, especially liked Colombia. All of the educated people in Colombia are really nice, and very keen to make sure tourists like me are having a great time.
A week in Bogota was great, you guys have great shopping centres and stuff that we just don't see here. Bosi is a favourite. I think its cool that you have Beer pubs. In australia every pub is a beer pub. Your beer isn't all that bad either and you have those really neat little hamburgers at beer station, those are cool.
I was impressed by the fact that they will serve you a whole bottle of spirits at the clubs. That does not happen here, our liqour laws are very strict. Here there are a lot more fights in the clubs as well, as the security does not carry guns.

I went to Zipaqueira and the Salt Church which was nuts. I took a heap of photos.

I then spent a week in Medellin, and I was meant to meet up with a bunch of guys there. But that kinda fell through, which was really unfortunate. I would have loved that heaps. But I tripped around the town and looked at the christmas lights (wow) and zona rosa. Really friendly people in Medellin (nice girls too :) )

From there I spent a few days in Cartegena, what a nice place that is. A little like our cost towns but at the same time very different. I liked the weather there. nice and warm.

From there I went to Lima in peru and cruised around Miraflores and the surrounding suburbs before heading to Cuzco and machu pichu. Very Very cool places. So old and magical. I really enjoyed the mystique of those places, but they are a little cold and damp.

Christmas in Lima (you guys are crazy with fireworks) before heading to Chile. I really wanted to see more of chile but I got a little ill and was pretty much confined to santiago. I like barrio brazil in santiago, very cruzy.

From there off to mendoza for a few days (that place is relaxed as) for great steak and wine.
After chilling there for a bit I took a 36 hour bus ride to Iguazu (2nd Class, complete with movies and aircon, the movies were spanish with spanish subtitles though).

The waterfalls at Iguazu are awesome !!! but are only worth a day or two.

From there I flew down to buenos aires for a brief look around, some mate, confused conversation (che che che) and then 4 or so days of party with argentinians and brazilans. was really great and I didn't want to leave.

It was a really great holiday and I picked up heaps of language, and a taste for white rum.

Well is really nice that you have choosen Colombia as a destination for a South American trip. You know, not so many people do that because they have the impression that our country is extremely insecure. But once they go there and realize how beautiful it is and that there is no reason to be afraid of, they completely change their minds. I know we do have our problems, but all you have to do is use your common sense when you are traveling, just the same you do when you are in any other country. I am so glad that you have had a very nice time in my Country.

I am really looking forward to go back there soon.

That's a great history! Unbelievable it was a year ago.

I'm happy that you enjoyed your holidays in south america.

enempe!! you've to go to the national park "Tayrona" it's one of our best places, as for me, I love to go there and relax for a few days... so try it!