Does anybody here does translations?

3dlife

Lanero Reconocido
29 Sep 2010
I was just wondering about this, since I'd like to help my finances with an occasional translation. I'm specially good at scientific/technical texts.

Anybody has insight on this?

I think you wrote the question wrong. First at all there's a problem with the verbs if you ask does then the verb doesn't go with the s, es, or proper form of the verb in third person, and second I think you are asking if someone needs translations, not if someone does translations...

• Me gusta
Reacciones: Diego San y JulianD
No offense dude, but I think you have to improve your English level before starting offering translation services. Your level is good though, but as the Lanera before me said there's still some room for improvement. Regards ;)

Well you guys gotta keep in mind something, hes not a pro and like any of us he will have some flaws regarding the translation of any given document, i bet ya that if you have a doc in hand to translate you will make some mistakes to the eyes of a pro, so give the guy a break....

Yes, you're right about that, none of us is perfect here (at least I'm not a native English speaker, so I speak for myself and most laneros that are either Colombian or from any other Latin American country). As I said, there's still room for improvement and I'm sure that if he practices enough he will reach a good level. He can obviously start doing translations for some people, but it all depends on the level of translation required and for what purpose.

If he is talking about school/homework type of translations there might not be any problem, but if he was refering to legal translations, there's a very hard exam with which he'll probably have trouble.

I can easily translate any kind of text for you, but of course, everything comes with a price.

EDIT: Actually, I'm kind of bored, so if it's some simple text, I'll do it right now =)

I can easily translate any kind of text for you, but of course, everything comes with a price.

EDIT: Actually, I'm kind of bored, so if it's some simple text, I'll do it right now =)
You guys know the meaning of Hijacking forums topics, please don't do so, post your own forum treads to offer your services.

I offer my services as a translator. You know, high school kinda works. Nothing pro.
IDEM, as I said above.

If he is talking about school/homework type of translations there might not be any problem, but if he was refering to legal translations, there's a very hard exam with which he'll probably have trouble.

Translation student here. You're so right my friend, to be a translator (officialy) you have to take a test first, and you will not pass it just with the colombo courses. You have to have a lot of skills that you can only get with practice in the translation excercise. Translating is not the same as understanding a language.

Greetings!

• Me gusta
Reacciones: 2 personas
I just took the official translation test a couple of weeks ago.
I've been working as a translator for 3 years or so, hopefully this will help me reach more customers.
Wish me luck!

I just took the official translation test a couple of weeks ago.
I've been working as a translator for 3 years or so, hopefully this will help me reach more customers.
Wish me luck!

Where did you took the exam? Im really interested in having my skills tested or get some kind of certificate..

how much can you charge per translated page? omg it would me make so anxious to want to finish everything. i can't imagine doing it.

Hi, can someone help me to translate this "breaches of consent", google doesnt really help. Thanks in advance.

Archivos adjuntos

• upload_2013-7-9_9-14-34.png
    upload_2013-7-9_9-14-34.png
    2.3 KB · Visitas: 208
  • upload_2013-7-9_9-15-33.png
    upload_2013-7-9_9-15-33.png
    13.2 KB · Visitas: 226
  • upload_2013-7-9_9-15-51.png
    upload_2013-7-9_9-15-51.png
    6 KB · Visitas: 254
how much can you charge per translated page? omg it would me make so anxious to want to finish everything. i can't imagine doing it.
I charge per word. A decent translator in Colombia can charge anywhere from $70 to $150 per word, but there are MANY translators working for much less.
I think charging per word is the fairest billing method, although I'm working as an in-house translator now and they pay me by the hour.
Charging per page is common for official documents (since it's more profitable for the translator).

Hi, can someone help me to translate this "breaches of consent", google doesnt really help. Thanks in advance.
It may be too late, but it depends on the context. In divorce law, it means violations of consent order(s) agreed to by a divorcing couple. In the rest of the legal realm, it means violations of consent (as in permission).

Los últimos temas