English Thread!!!

Ok..listen up people from Cali, Colombia, i discovered a conversation club that takes place near EL parque del perro here in cali, one day a week, we talk about anything,... no english teaching, no charge 4 it,,its just real english practice... the best part is that theres a native speaker from Scotland that can help you improve your english,,, so if anyone is interested about it,,just lemme know...and send me a private message,,, i really enjoy this and im pretty sure u will as well.....

nice Alejandro!!! just what i was waiting for, please, send me the info, I live here in Cali
TNX

Ok..listen up people from Cali, Colombia, i discovered a conversation club that takes place near EL parque del perro here in cali, one day a week, we talk about anything,... no english teaching, no charge 4 it,,its just real english practice... the best part is that theres a native speaker from Scotland that can help you improve your english,,, so if anyone is interested about it,,just lemme know...and send me a private message,,, i really enjoy this and im pretty sure u will as well.....

Hey people! I'm new in this forum but I love English and I'm glad to join you tonight, sorry for not reading all the thread but you already have 23 pages and that's a lot... so what are you talking about? besides the meetings in Cali? I'm from Bogota btw.

Hey people! I'm new in this forum but I love English and I'm glad to join you tonight, sorry for not reading all the thread but you already have 23 pages and that's a lot... so what are you talking about? besides the meetings in Cali? I'm from Bogota btw.

Hi and welcome. In this thread we just talk about random topics.

If you check the list of threads within this section http://www.laneros.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88 you'll see there are threads where you can talk about specific things or you can create your own if you want to talk about something you want.

Regards

thanks for the answer, could you please help me with a thread I post on the introduction forum? I mean, solving the problem I talk about there... thank once again

thanks for the answer, could you please help me with a thread I post on the introduction forum? I mean, solving the problem I talk about there... thank once again

I already read the topic and I have no idea what's happening in your case. I use my Gmail and YouTube account everyday and I've never seen something like that before. I'm sorry and I hope you can find a solution for your problem.

hello everyone!!
The conversation group that was working in Cali finished the past december and I´m looking for people to star again.... Anyone intrested?
Escrito desde www.LANeros.mobi (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; Series60/3.2 NokiaE5-00.2/042.014; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 BrowserNG/7.2.6.2 3gpp-gba)

I think I could join the group... I am not sure because I am too busy at the moment, but it sounds like a great idea.

I would love to create a conversational group here in Barranquilla.... I know theres a lot of english speaking people here in baq...

hello everyone!!
The conversation group that was working in Cali finished the past december and I´m looking for people to star again.... Anyone intrested?
Escrito desde www.LANeros.mobi (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; Series60/3.2 NokiaE5-00.2/042.014; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 BrowserNG/7.2.6.2 3gpp-gba)

Is this gonna be online? I'm asking because I'm not in Colombia.

I don't know the reason why this thread died :S :S It's actually a good idea to practice english, at least for writing and reading :)

I'm starting to prepare myself to do the TOEFL exam (like...in a month from today) and i would like to get some information about the exam, someone has done this exam?

Oh yes, i think that speaking is the most complicated part. In my case it is (from the easier to the harder):

Reading
Writing
Listening
Speaking

I proposed an idea on other forum and they didn't go for it... would you dare to record yourself pronouncing some tricky words?

for example, it is a common mistake to pronounce feel and fill as if they were homophones... can you tell the difference?

How would you pronounce: with, fill, sin, mitt, bit, tip and so on?

Just to explain a little bit, have you ever use the international phonetic alphabet (IPA)? search the dictionary and take a look on the IPA...

feel = /fiːl/
fill = /fɪl/

I don't know the reason why this thread died :S :S It's actually a good idea to practice english, at least for writing and reading :)

I'm starting to prepare myself to do the TOEFL exam (like...in a month from today) and i would like to get some information about the exam, someone has done this exam?

The question should be: Has someone presented/taken (using "do" as someone would in spanish is not correct) this exam?

Actually, I took the test 3 weeks ago and I did very well (111 / 120). 10 years ago I had taken the test, but that time it was different because it was the cBT(computer-based) as opposed to the iBT(internet-based) that is the one in use right now. Back then I got a score of 105 / 120.

As for the test, you can look for a book on the internet named "Longman Preparation Course for the Toefl Test, Next Generation iBT". There you can find guidelines and practice exercises and this book comes with a CD loaded with preparation tests.

An advice that I can give you for the speaking part is that if maybe you are not so fluent or your pronunciation isn't that good try to keep everything organized by having a structure.

For example, you hear a lecture from a class talking about dinosaurs and their different types (I'm just making up something). Then, you are asked to give a summary of the lecture, so you could do something like this:

In this listening passage the main topic is "MAIN TOPIC".

First, it is mentioned that "FIRST IDEA OR FIRST TYPE"
Then, the lecturer mentions "SECOND IDEA" ....

And so on.

For that speaking part they usually give you 15-30 seconds to prepare your answer, and sometimes you have to speak for 45 seconds or even 1 minute depending on what you listened to. It is very important to take notes and use the preparation time to organize your ideas based on your script. It doesn´t matter if you use the same script more than once, what they check besides pronunciation or fluency is organization and coherence. By following these tips I had a score of 27 / 30 in the speaking part, so I think this helped me a lot.

As for the book I mentioned it is very useful for the other 3 sections (listening, reading, writing). If you want to practice speaking it would be better if you could find someone with good english level to do practice exercises and taking into account real times. Also, If you can't find someone to help, you could just record yourself and see what you can improve.

Hope all this information helps, and good luck on the test.

• Me gusta
Reacciones: 4 personas
The question should be: Has someone presented/taken (using "do" as someone would in spanish is not correct) this exam?

Actually, I took the test 3 weeks ago and I did very well (111 / 120). 10 years ago I had taken the test, but that time it was different because it was the cBT(computer-based) as opposed to the iBT(internet-based) that is the one in use right now. Back then I got a score of 105 / 120.

As for the test, you can look for a book on the internet named "Longman Preparation Course for the Toefl Test, Next Generation iBT". There you can find guidelines and practice exercises and this book comes with a CD loaded with preparation tests.

An advice that I can give you for the speaking part is that if maybe you are not so fluent or your pronunciation isn't that good try to keep everything organized by having a structure.

For example, you hear a lecture from a class talking about dinosaurs and their different types (I'm just making up something). Then, you are asked to give a summary of the lecture, so you could do something like this:

In this listening passage the main topic is "MAIN TOPIC".

First, it is mentioned that "FIRST IDEA OR FIRST TYPE"
Then, the lecturer mentions "SECOND IDEA" ....

And so on.

For that speaking part they usually give you 15-30 seconds to prepare your answer, and sometimes you have to speak for 45 seconds or even 1 minute depending on what you listened to. It is very important to take notes and use the preparation time to organize your ideas based on your script. It doesn´t matter if you use the same script more than once, what they check besides pronunciation or fluency is organization and coherence. By following these tips I had a score of 27 / 30 in the speaking part, so I think this helped me a lot.

As for the book I mentioned it is very useful for the other 3 sections (listening, reading, writing). If you want to practice speaking it would be better if you could find someone with good english level to do practice exercises and taking into account real times. Also, If you can't find someone to help, you could just record yourself and see what you can improve.

Hope all this information helps, and good luck on the test.

Thanks for share your experience; I pretend to take the test in a few months too. Will be useful the tips you posted here.

The TOEFL isn't really hard, it's more the nervousness of the student more than anything else. I remember getting a near perfect result a couple years ago when I was about to enter Uni.

Back then I wasn't as fluent as I'm now and my vocabulary wasn't massive.