English Thread!!!

The TOEFL isn't really hard, it's more the nervousness of the student more than anything else. I remember getting a near perfect result a couple years ago when I was about to enter Uni.

Back then I wasn't as fluent as I'm now and my vocabulary wasn't massive.

It's just a matter of knowing what to expect and how to tackle the questions.

glad to see this topic alive :D

I also want to take the TOEFL test, but is too expensive for me and only use it to prove my knowledge

Meh, if you're confident of your level of knowledge you shouldn't need a piece of paper to tell you what you already know.

I'd only advice people to take that test if it's a requisite for something they're applying for.

Meh, if you're confident of your level of knowledge you shouldn't need a piece of paper to tell you what you already know.

I'd only advice people to take that test if it's a requisite for something they're applying for.

That's my case :/ I need a minimum of 65 in the iBT

That's my case :/ I need a minimum of 65 in the iBT

If you have issues with your listening and your speaking i'd suggest you to just watch movies/series without subtitles, it's fun and it'll help you refine your ear and polish your pronunciation.

Video games help too, to a lesser extent.

Today I got one doubt, what is the difference between whose and which? when it is correct to use whose/which?

I have this sentence: "Develop two alternative models, which/whose purpose is to respond in terms of functionality, modularity, stiffness, weight, manufacturability and maintenance"

Which one do you think may fit better?

I would say which since you aren't talking about people or something that belongs to a person

I would say which since you aren't talking about people or something that belongs to a person

Well, just take into account Whose is the possessive form for which and who...

About that sentence, I would try to change it; anyway, I will choose whose instead of which.

Changing subjects, have you ever heard about blip.me? that's a social network that works similar to twitter, but you have to talk (record your voice) rather than typing... you will find this App for iPod/iPhone in the App store.

That's correct, "whose" has no place in that sentence since there's no people being involved.

The sentence sounds awkward anyway, I would rather say "Develop two alternative models with the purpose of responding in terms of functionality, modularity, stiffness, weight, manufacturability and maintenance".

• Me gusta
Reacciones: 2 personas
well, that's your opinion, I rather find it quite interesting, taking into account that you could improve your speaking skills, talking with real people all around the world about different topics... I don't have that opportunity in my day-to-day life.

http://www.blip.me/broadcast/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not too much room for improvement of your speaking skills if it only lets you record your voice. I mean, if someone was always there ready to listen to what you said and correct you it would be helpful, but to me it's just the same as using any other voice recording software.

On the other hand, I've heard of some people who use skype for that purpose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not too much room for improvement of your speaking skills if it only lets you record your voice. I mean, if someone was always there ready to listen to what you said and correct you it would be helpful, but to me it's just the same as using any other voice recording software.

On the other hand, I've heard of some people who use skype for that purpose.

There are people willing to help you there, not only in English btw...

Anyway, that's just an idea...

That's correct, "whose" has no place in that sentence since there's no people being involved.

The sentence sounds awkward anyway, I would rather say "Develop two alternative models with the purpose of responding in terms of functionality, modularity, stiffness, weight, manufacturability and maintenance".

Just take a look of this post

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/whose-for-inanimate-objects.aspx

Whose is not only used in sentences with people as antecedent, but some people just don't like it that way.

Just take a look of this post

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/whose-for-inanimate-objects.aspx

Whose is not only used in sentences with people as antecedent, but some people just don't like it that way.

Well, as your linked page mentions it is a common misconception among native english speakers that whose is only used for people, so you can't really blame a non-native english speaker for believing it as well, can you? :p.

I gotta admit my english is not by the book. I've never taken any classes or courses of any kind, ever. I've learnt it all from reading and listening, reading and listening, reading and listening.... be it movies, music, internet, papers, whatever, it's all from "experience" as I'd like to say, but I'm not sure if it can really be called that :p.

That page is really nice with important topics to check, i will definitely review it frequently.

Changing the topic. I found this word: "pitifully" and its meaning is like 'lastimosamente'? but I really never hear about that word, anyone has a synonym?? Or another word for 'lastimosamente'