English Thread!!!

Hello there....

Well, I learned my english in elementary school, I had a very good teacher there, besides he spoke french too, I don´t know but I like to get in the colombo you know what I mean?, so if somebody studies there I appreciate the information.

See ya!

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Rdgm
Ok, ok..... let´s practice our english....

Hi, my name is Rdgm.
I´m from Medellin, Colombia.
I´m 23 years old.

hahahaha this seems to be an Alcoholic anonymous meeting....

hi, my name is angie, and I'm an alcoholic.... juaaasssssss ... that's not true i'm just kidding :p

Yeah! there are many funny posts.....

I think that this forum shoud have some rules in order to take advantage of it ("learning and improving our english level").

I suggest that whe can post here our doubts and whe anyone has the answer, just help others.

Reading the whole forum, I realize that only few posts are important, there are so many post just for "I will join" but nothing happens. Wy don't we post only when our message comes with a good objective?

Best regards.

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Krieg
This another common mistake. You are already making the question with "Do yo u..." so the rest of the sentence is normal.

Examples:

Do you know what time it is?
Do you know where she lives?
Do you know where the keys are?

I don´t understand the point...

How should i whrite it?

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Davcast

How should i whrite it?

Well... i guess that sentences are wrong... i think that the right way to write them is:

Do you know what time is it?
Do you know where does she live?

Is there anyone who can tell me if i'm wrong or right?

thanx :p

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Davcast

How should i whrite it?

The point is that you can't ask a question twice in the same sentence, I mean, you can't say: do you know what time is it?
The last part shouldn't be a new question: is it? ,is a new interrogative form, so the sentence would be: Do you know what time it is? .

I hope you get the point.

bye.

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Raptor
why i haven´t a lot of money??? i want to be rich !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. I'd say Why haven't I got a lot of money??.

or 2. Why don't I have a lot of money??. altought this form isn't often used.

When you use haven't, ti sounds more like the auxiliar form used in the perfect tenses, I guess that what u really meant when you wrote haven't was a neagtive form from the verb: to have, in that case you should've written the sentence as I have in the second point.

Tell me if I'm wrong... That's what I think...

Texto Originalmente Escrito por @NgIe26
Well... i guess that sentences are wrong... i think that the right way to write them is:

Nop. I am right and you are wrong :)

English is more picky about double questions and double negations and since I am an engineer I like that.

In case you don't know what a double negation is:

I don't know nothing about history. WRONG.
I don't know anything about history. CORRECT.

Spanish is really weird because double negations are the rule (i.e. Yo no se nada).

PS. I just realized "In case you don't know what a double negation is" is another good example. Do you see the 'is' at the end? It is there because it is not a question.

thanx krieg... now i remember... i've forgotten many things since i finished my english classes 7 years ago :p ... so please excuse my terrible grammar ;)

Texto Originalmente Escrito por @NgIe26

the right form of writing the second sentence is:

do you know where she lives?
the part that include "she lives" doesn't correspond to the part of the question...it is a the complement, so you should write it in the affirmative o negative form
i.e.
do they seem like they aren't going to jump? (not very usefull)

Hi everyone, what I know of the english lenguage I learned it by myself, I started with the anglo music, then came the books and other stuffs like movies and friends.

My principal problem with this lenguage ara the "idioms", this is mi bigger trouble; I'm listening and understanding a dialogue, when sudenly...ZUAS, an idiom, and then I get lost.

If somebody knwos common or non common idioms please, write them and traslate for all.

sux=something that is disgusting.

for example, look at my signature. I don't like reggeton, for me it's disgusting so I say: Reggeton sucks

pd: sux=sucks

Los últimos temas