English Thread!!!

May I?

Krieg writes:

I think it is a good idea to practice and improving our english level.

It´s simply improve, mejo :)

Hey, does "mejo" have a translation? mmm, jeje, well, it does sound funny pronouncing the letter "j" like a "y" in spanish :p

Let`s start a topic here and give some sense to this forum:

Where did you learn your english?

I lived in the States for about three years, after that all my life has been around computers and music, tastes that requiere english to understand them, well, at least in a technical way.

And today I work in a company whose Manager is a native North American citizen, he brought his business here to Colombia, and so there is a spanglish culture all around the office. One very curious thing is when you´re talking in english with another person that speaks spanish :p, it feels strange, jeje.

Well that´s it for now.

Suertex... (translation?... uhhh... Lux? :p )

I'm learning English because is an obligation for my college studies but I also like english a lot, I think I prefer english more than spanish.

Hey, does "mejo" have a translation?

It's one of these words that you can't translate. You could use bro or something like that instead of "mejo"

Where did you learn your english?

And what if i'm still learning?

I also have a question, I have to use Spanish for this question so excuse me.

Is it correct to use STUFF as a traslation of COSAS??

for example: I brought candies, food, liquour and stuff.

Mistakes

1. I think you had a mistake when you were amending people:

You only use "that" if the next word is a verb. If it is a noun you can skip it.

No. In that case, you can use "that", it depends if u want or not, but it's not a mistake.

Example:

I think you are wrong.

I think that you are wrong.

We need improvemment my english grammar.

You can't use gerund after a verb like "need", you wanted to say:

"I need to improve my English grammar".

I think it is a good idea to practice and improve our english level

When a verb is the subject, you have to use gerund.

Example:

"I think practicing and improving our level is a good idea".

Re: Mistakes

Texto Originalmente Escrito por Andres_Cool
1. I think you had a mistake when you were amending people:

No. In that case, you can use "that", it depends if u want or not, but it's not a mistake.

Example:

I think you are wrong.

I think that you are wrong.

You made me curious about that because that's the only english class I remember (it was the first one) and I am pretty sure the teacher said removing the 'that' was mandatory. Anyway, I checked in the Internet and found you are right and even there are 3 more rules you have to check before removing the 'that'.

The word that is used as a conjunction to connect a subordinate clause to a preceding verb. In this construction that is sometimes called the "expletive that." Indeed, the word is often omitted to good effect, but the very fact of easy omission causes some editors to take out the red pen and strike out the conjunction that wherever it appears. In the following sentences, we can happily omit the that (or keep it, depending on how the sentence sounds to us):

* Isabel knew [that] she was about to be fired.
* She definitely felt [that] her fellow employees hadn't supported her.
* I hope [that] she doesn't blame me.

Sometimes omitting the that creates a break in the flow of a sentence, a break that can be adequately bridged with the use of a comma:

* The problem is, that production in her department has dropped.
* Remember, that we didn't have these problems before she started working here.

As a general rule, if the sentence feels just as good without the that, if no ambiguity results from its omission, if the sentence is more efficient or elegant without it, then we can safely omit the that. Theodore Bernstein lists three conditions in which we should maintain the conjunction that:

* When a time element intervenes between the verb and the clause: "The boss said yesterday that production in this department was down fifty percent." (Notice the position of "yesterday.")
* When the verb of the clause is long delayed: "Our annual report revealed that some losses sustained by this department in the third quarter of last year were worse than previously thought." (Notice the distance between the subject "losses" and its verb, "were.")
* When a second that can clear up who said or did what: "The CEO said that Isabel's department was slacking off and that production dropped precipitously in the fourth quarter." (Did the CEO say that production dropped or was the drop a result of what he said about Isabel's department? The second that makes the sentence clear.)

Tomado de: http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm

Instead of.......Wrong

Instead mejo. BTW mejo could be replaced by pal, dude, bro, son. Dont you think? Thats right.

Im feeling like a "coquito"...........so tiny, so cute......so funny :p

Hahaha

Well, then I´ll stick with "mejo", it´s more "us", if you know what I mean :)

Suertex

PS. Damn! I almost didn´t found the memo field to write my post :p jeje

I think this is quite interesting. I have been looking for a place to hone my english skills, and this looks like the perfect place. Let me join in, my english is not quite good, but that is exactly why I shall use this thread.

my teacher of listening comprehension gave me a clue about english grammar......
....."If it sounds good, It is good"....
THAT is a good idea for the people who already knows the grammar but have lost contact...

welcome hiada (sounds funny----hiada)

Do you know what is great? In english you can say bad words in the forum, and nothing happens }] those stupid **** dont works here! :D

For example: i can say tits (or teat), mother ************er, bitch, etc...

Now, this is a great Idea, i´m really happy with this forum, at least Laneros is useful }]. no, thats not true :p

OK, krieg now i´m yours, let me know what did i wrote wrong? :\

PD: guardian, in english, it isn´t says "mejo", it is "meho" :p

when yu ask.... like you did...
quote:
what did i wrote wrong?

you are already using a past tense with the auxiliar did, so you do not have to use the verb also in past tense.....

now the correct question would be:
what did i write wrong?

Nice forum!

I have a question for you... have anyone take the TOEFL, IELTS, Michigan or any other english test?

I ask this because as many of you, I also learned by myself and I'm willing to take the TOELF or IELTS and I don't know whether my english level is good enough to have a good score.

The objective to take that test is to apply for an immigrant visa in Canada.

I think it's a good idea to put this forum in a Top Level category in order to have faster access to it, because here we'll have to explore some pages to find it when the other forums have more posts.

Good luck for everyone!

My problem is that I don't got english education, but I learned as i go trought my job, there is many problems trying to say long verses, and it is all because of the few grammar hat i learned.
does soembody know about books or web pages capable of helping me out with my grammar? I cannot go to chool in Korea because it is a big mesh over here so there is nothing else for me to do

Los últimos temas