English Thread!!!

Thank you about that. Damn you google traductor xD

Another doubt:
Is really common when I read something (specially in threads) find that the word 'I' refering to me ('yo' in spanish) is always in capital letter even when is not at the beginning of a paragraph or after a period, like I used in this twice in this one. LOL

Is there a reason for that? Or is just a coincidence and is also normal use it in lowercase

You should always write I no matter where it's located within the paragraph

But, is there a rule about that? Or is just a general agreement?

On the other hand, today I got a template the company need to fill and I don't know what the next mean:

About <<INSERT YOUR ORGANIZATION’S NAME>>
<<INSERT BOILERPLATE FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION>>

On other part appears:

<<INSERT QUOTE FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION’S HEAD>>

What is that boilerplate refers to??? And that quote is like a description about the organization's head?

That template is really technical so I'm confused :muerto:

EDIT: Well, I was trying to translate the 'boilerplate' has one word and seems to be two: Boiler plate

Well, as your linked page mentions it is a common misconception among native english speakers that whose is only used for people, so you can't really blame a non-native english speaker for believing it as well, can you? :p.

I gotta admit my english is not by the book. I've never taken any classes or courses of any kind, ever. I've learnt it all from reading and listening, reading and listening, reading and listening.... be it movies, music, internet, papers, whatever, it's all from "experience" as I'd like to say, but I'm not sure if it can really be called that :p.

Mine neither. You said something like "that's correct, whose has no place there, because... and so on", and then, I thought I was wrong. I wasn't sure and I wanted to know so badly, then I went to some web pages looking for this topic, and I found it...

I don't blame you. At the end, we both agree, it is better to reword that sentence.

But, is there a rule about that? Or is just a general agreement?

On the other hand, today I got a template the company need to fill and I don't know what the next mean:

About <<INSERT YOUR ORGANIZATION’S NAME>>
<<INSERT BOILERPLATE FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION>>

On other part appears:

<<INSERT QUOTE FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION’S HEAD>>

What is that boilerplate refers to??? And that quote is like a description about the organization's head?

That template is really technical so I'm confused :muerto:

EDIT: Well, I was trying to translate the 'boilerplate' has one word and seems to be two: Boiler plate

I think you've got your answer... Anyway, I think the Quote may refer to some words by the CEO (or the org's head) related to the subject.

OT: One doesn't say "Correct me if I'm wrong" when is about to give an opinion, facts can be wrong, opinions not.

What I intended to say at first was that I was not so sure if I had understood his point, so my opinion was based on the way I had understood it.

I gotta admit my english is not by the book. I've never taken any classes or courses of any kind, ever. I've learnt it all from reading and listening, reading and listening, reading and listening.... be it movies, music, internet, papers, whatever, it's all from "experience" as I'd like to say, but I'm not sure if it can really be called that
smiley%20-%20silly.gif

I find it very amazing that your knowledge of English is just based on reading and listening, to be honest I don't actually believe you seeing that you know how to structure it very well, not only using a lot of vocabulary. Take this as a compliment because I think you have a very good level and if it's really true then kudos to you (I suppose then that the dictionary is your best friend).

Is it really that hard to believe him though? I do believe him, blindly.

Perhaps because I'm the same. Never ever studied English (besides from the trivial crap in high school, and believe me, in my high school it could barely pass as english :S).

Regardless of the above, when I took that diagnostic exam they make you present when entering University, they told me that I could skip English altogether and just go ahead with french. Right now I'm halfway through an undergrad degree in international relations and aiming to emphasize in international law. It's a career path where English is fundamental if not more, yet I've never taken any formal lessons.

Glad to hear that :) Fortunately I could attend a bilingual school and that's how I learned. It's a shame that the level taught at most schools is pretty lame and that's one of the reasons people start to dislike the language.

Most of my interest for learning english was because of FFVII, almost imposible to play using a dictionary all the time, so i just started to study english :p

Please give a hand :nervios:

I'm traying to translate something to english but I'm stuck in this part, the phrase is "grandes apuestas" like something the organization is doing in this 2012, so I have: 'big bets', 'huge bets', 'large bets', 'high stakes'. The complete sentence starts like: "The 2012 is a year of big bets from..."

Which one would you recommend?

Los últimos temas