Astronomía

• Iniciador del tema cafedelmar
  • Fecha de inicio
Fui afortunado de poder ver la conjuncion de Venus - Jupiter, esto teniendo en cuenta que el clima de Bogota es poco amigable con estos temas, pero el martes y miercoles (dias en los que se vieron mas juntos) el cielo por estos lados estuvo perfecto. Desde hace varios dias venia haciendole el seguimiento, viendo como cada dia se ponian mas cerca el uno del otro. El martes tome una foto a las 6:48 pm con un iPhone (no quedo muy bien, pero aqui se las comparto).

image.jpg

• Me gusta
Reacciones: Licht
Yo tambien lo vi , estoy en Bucaramanga y se veía excelente ... Bacano haberlo visto por un celestron

Enviado desde mi AZUMI A50c+ mediante Tapatalk

July 3, 2015Pluto and Charon Surfaces in Living Color

Click animation to enlarge.

This is the first movie created by New Horizons to reveal color surface features of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon. "It's a bit unusual to see so much surface detail at this distance," said New Horizons co-investigator William McKinnon, a member of the mission's Geology and Geophysics Investigation team, from Washington University in Saint Louis. "What's especially noteworthy is the level of detail in both bodies. It's certainly whetting our appetite for what's to come."

The images were taken between June 23 and June 29, 2015, as New Horizons' distance to Pluto decreased from a distance of 15 million to 11 million miles (24 million to 18 million kilometers). Six high-resolution black-and-white images from New Horizons' Long-Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) instrument were combined with color data from the Ralph instrument to produce the movie.

Fuente: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150703

Ya estamos muy cerca del 14 de julio, fecha donde New Horizons estará más cerca de Plutón. Los 9 años de viaje están dando sus frutos...

July 3, 2015Pluto and Charon Surfaces in Living Color

Click animation to enlarge.

This is the first movie created by New Horizons to reveal color surface features of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon. "It's a bit unusual to see so much surface detail at this distance," said New Horizons co-investigator William McKinnon, a member of the mission's Geology and Geophysics Investigation team, from Washington University in Saint Louis. "What's especially noteworthy is the level of detail in both bodies. It's certainly whetting our appetite for what's to come."

The images were taken between June 23 and June 29, 2015, as New Horizons' distance to Pluto decreased from a distance of 15 million to 11 million miles (24 million to 18 million kilometers). Six high-resolution black-and-white images from New Horizons' Long-Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) instrument were combined with color data from the Ralph instrument to produce the movie.

Fuente: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150703

Ya estamos muy cerca del 14 de julio, fecha donde New Horizons estará más cerca de Plutón. Los 9 años de viaje están dando sus frutos...
Que bien se ve, y afortunadamente después del susto, ya se ha recuperado y volverá a funcionar normalmente para tomar las mejores fotografías del encuentro con plutón.
http://www.abc.es/ciencia/20150706/abci-horizons-fallo-201507061118.html

Quién me colabora con una imagen de la constelación de Libra en donde estén bien definidas sus estrellas con el nombre de cada una. Además encuentro varias representaciones y no se si haya una oficial.

libra-constellation.jpg

Libra-A-Scorpius.png

Libra.gif

libra.gif

Libra-stars-and-location-of-HD-140283.jpg

Última edición:
New Horizons Update

I work for the observatory that discovered Pluto, so I thought I'd hit y'all up with some knowledge.

iWbOFov.jpg

So you may or may not know that this summer holds one of the most exciting science events in recent history. Last year, we got Rosetta where humanity landed a probe on a frickin comet. This year, we'll get to see Pluto as never before with the New Horizons flyby on July 14th.

So why do we need the New Horizons mission?

KE6JEat.gif

Because this was literally the best picture of Pluto we had (as of a month or so ago). It's a composite of images from the Hubble space telescope, and basically all it tells us is that Pluto has darkish bits and lightish bits. Not very helpful.

But look what New Horizons can do!

5TUKLjJ.jpg

In order to get to Pluto in a timely fashion, we flew it by Jupiter for a gravity assist which took two years of flying time off the mission, and used that time to check the camera's functionality. We got this. If you don't think this is the tightest stuff ever, you can get out of my face.

VOLCANOES IN SPACE (2007)

FnHL63k.gif

Also on the way, New Horizons passed by Io, one of Jupiter's moons and the most volcanic object (for its size) in our solar system. Purely by happenstance, New Horizons recorded this footage of an active eruption when it passed Io. This volcano, Tvashtar is spewing debris over 200 miles into space.

Approaching Pluto, the images start getting better! (July 3)

ion2XKX.gif

Pluto's rotation period is around 6 days, and it shares a barycenter with Charon. That means that instead of Charon orbiting around Pluto, they orbit around each other. This gif doesn't show that behavior because NH had its cameras centered on Pluto for each image.

WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE SURFACE FEATURES! (~July 3)

44bF5uu.jpg

Awwww, a heart! (July 8)

3154944.jpg

Recent image of Pluto (and Charon!) (July 9)

eO5I1Cv.png

We can now see detail in Charon, Pluto's largest moon. Current theories believe Charon is full of rock and water ice, while the dark smudge on the bottom of Pluto may be methane ice caps.

Houston, we have geology! (July 10)

tWTNhZM.jpg

We're less than 2 million miles away now!

Needless to say, the scientists were stoked about that one.

n3tGlxG.jpg

Pluto-Earth Occultation

mFV4yNp.jpg

After the flyby, New Horizons will keep going in a straight line, and will reach a point where Pluto is right in front of Earth, from the probe's perspective. Why is this important? Well, before this happens, 3 of Earth's massive satellite dishes will emit a radio pulse at Pluto, timing it so that the wave hits New Horizons just as it passes behind (so the pulse will have to be emitted ~4.5 hours in advance...It's like hitting a bullet fired from a train with another bullet fired from the same train 10 years later). We know what the wave looked like to start, and what it will look like afterwards, so we'll be able to glean information on Pluto's atmosphere based on the changes.

AND LOOK HOW TINY IT IS!

Zgn8iC1.jpg

Most of these types of probes are stories high, but you barely need a step ladder to get to the top of it. Another fun fact: it runs entirely on Plutonium. Also, it left Earth in 2006 at a speed of 36,000 miles per hour (that's 53,000 km/hr or 16 km/s for you freedom-haters), the highest escape velocity of any human-made object from Earth.

The instruments on board

tR31YCR.jpg

I'm not going to pretend to know what they do. You can google it if you're interested. But, you should know that the camera is such that if New York City was on Pluto, we'd be able to see the lakes of Central Park. Just sayin.

The elephant in the room: is pluto a planet?

xgEkd1P.png

Currently, no. It's a dwarf planet. And I'll tell you why. Well, this picture should do a pretty good job explaining it for me. Pluto is tiny, and its orbit is crazy wonky. Every other "planet" in the solar system stays on the same plane when it goes around the sun, but Pluto's decidedly tilted elliptical orbit makes it stand out.

The Eris problem

Spm5JBo.gif

So, I know a lot of people consider Pluto's demotion a personal offense, but hear me out: it was this new guy, Eris, discovered in 2005, that put Pluto's classification in doubt. Eris, though farther out from the sun, is bigger than Pluto, and follows a similar wonky orbit. So if Pluto is a planet, shouldn't Eris be as well? Sure, why not? Well, the problem is there are literally THOUSANDS of Pluto-sized objects in that region of space, called the Kuiper belt. So, therefore, we must have thousands of new planets. The decision-maker people (the IAU) decided it was easier and more accurate to classify Pluto into a Kuiper Belt object/dwarf-planet than deal with all the other Kuiper belt objects out there. If y'all want, I can do a whole post on what makes a planet (according to the IAU), and my thoughts on the matter.

Pluto's odd orbit, take 2

3rWcoYk.gif

Pluto and it's largest moon, Charon (which is a little bigger than half the size of Pluto), actually sort of orbit around each other, or, more accurately, around their shared center of gravity [barycenter]. Another argument against its planet-ness, but it's still a pretty cool binary system.

A fun graphic showing the orbit of Pluto's moons
Clic aquí

Fuente

Última edición:
CJ4CQIkVEAEaAnw.png

La mejor de antes del sobrevuelo, aún falta la de mañana y las que saldrán a finales del año próximo en donde se verán los detalles de la superficie. Genial!
Excelente toma, y impresionantes los datos de la mision , mas de 9 años en el espacio , la nave viaja a mas de 50.000 km .... Me recuerda a interestelar

Enviado desde mi AZUMI A50c+ mediante Tapatalk

Los últimos temas