English Thread!!!

well I'm another one trying to learn the language and be fluent in it. One of the crucial part is the speaking ability which is kind of a wall for me at the moment. This is because my studying focus mostly on reading and writing . So for the speaking I often go to websites where you read a passsage and record your voice so other people (English speakers) can review and rate it.

One of the things that catch my attention when I read the reviews is that several ones suggest me that I should focus on my accent and somewhat force myself to sound more american (or british) but I think that is not a good idea. I just try to speak slow and clear with a neutral accent (I try, hehe). So, What do you think? Do you think it's important to work in the accent to try to sound more like a native speaker or maybe it's better to speak clearly with your natural accent?.

Cheers

PS: Please feel free to make corrections to this message if you consider it neccesary, it'll help me a lot. thanks.

I'm not sure, but with the accent you can make that other people feel like you know what you are saying, that you are confident...I worked in a call center for an American mobile company and most of the people can get almost immediately that you are not a native speaker and most of them didn't like that :s

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk 2

Did you work in USA?
I want to learn English well. I watch movies in English language with CC (Closed caption), but I don't improve my understanding of the English language.
How did you learn English?

well I'm another one trying to learn the language and be fluent in it. One of the crucial part is the speaking ability which is kind of a wall for me at the moment. This is because my studying focus mostly on reading and writing . So for the speaking I often go to websites where you read a passsage and record your voice so other people (English speakers) can review and rate it.

One of the things that catch my attention when I read the reviews is that several ones suggest me that I should focus on my accent and somewhat force myself to sound more american (or british) but I think that is not a good idea. I just try to speak slow and clear with a neutral accent (I try, hehe). So, What do you think? Do you think it's important to work in the accent to try to sound more like a native speaker or maybe it's better to speak clearly with your natural accent?.

Cheers

PS: Please feel free to make corrections to this message if you consider it neccesary, it'll help me a lot. thanks.

The accent is kind of important, most of us sound like Sofía Vergara and we don't realize that (we tend to think, we speak neutral or perfect american english, but NO).

The problem with our accent relays on the fact we don't produce the correct sound, even when we thought we did. I have been studying this and it is quite common among us to pronounce wrong sounds like the ones in fill and feel or the correct s sound at words which start with this character (many people pronounce it like "es", but it has no "e").

Also, a lot of people speak by literally translating each word from spanish into english, producing unnatural sentences and sounding very bad.

I thing the best excercise is trying to think in english. That way, you will sound more natural. It will be probably hard at the beginning, but with some practice you will notice the improvement in your comunicative skills.

I thing the best excercise is trying to think in english. That way, you will sound more natural. It will be probably hard at the beginning, but with some practice you will notice the improvement in your comunicative skills.
That's a very good idea, it's something difficult (at the beginning) but you can do it .!

I have requested my girlfriend to text me only in English , I changed the language of all my devices, I have avoided watch films and listen to music in Spanish... It's just discipline

Enviado desde iOS 8 usando Tapatalk

Jajajja

You're right, now I'm using my mobile in French

91d2ab048c8d1c38a6ec1a25ffa5ad89.jpg

I was so lazy to change the signature, it's oldie jajajja

Sent using my microwave though Tapatalk

Interesting, I'm subscribing to this topic right now, maybe you could say someday a good way to improve the speaking, that's the hardest thing for me :/

Heh i was surprised when i saw this thread.... understanding American English is easy,but when you speak to a non-cosmopolitan irish from rural areas ,thats when your ability is put up to a test :), took me a while to understand them.

Los últimos temas