The best way to practice English

flaco2005

Lanero Reconocido
22 Jul 2005
Hello, how do u practice ur english?

Do u happen to have any "english-speaking" firneds?

Well I dont , I let you all know my method later...

The best way is to take a plane, go to United States and let yourself alone in Mid-USA where nobody speaks Spanish :p

Cya!

True. The best way to practice is placing yourself in situations where your only option is to speak English because no one understands Spanish.

I'd say the next best thing is to use Skype or MSN to chat with English-speaking friends. And listening to spoken English, for example, in soap operas or sitcoms, doesn't hurt. :D

yes i am with you luis........, right now i'm in canada,, speaking spanish all the time, it is just stupid because of the money and many things, but here with my high school's friends like i am here, it is impossible to speak english with theme,,,,, the only advice i can give you, is to watch tv, all the time, specially shows like friends, seinfeld and these kinds of shows.......

offtopic after offtopic
Good webpage there... it's nice because it brings up one of the WORST things of Colombians... two simple rules to step on people's feet no matter what (probably the only two rules we actually play by). We should open up a whole new thread on the subject.

The internet is a good option, besides, watching tv not only friends or sainfield but also history channel, movies and others. it works...

Hey, now that I recall, when I was studying college, I had this girlfriend who had live in the USA for more than 15 years and we use to practice a lot, but still, nothing better than listenin to MUSIC and try to translate them songs, specially if they are sung fast.

May I bring you some lyrics later

yes... a good way is to listening music and try to write and understand the lyrics... An easier way to learn is placing in US or England... and everyday speak and speak and speak english...

yes, it happens to me a lot, my pronunciation is not very well, but i even try to make it perfect, but i still learning, but, i understand a lot, just like CSI, but i need to learn even more than that... LUCK!!

Practicing your English Skills

There are many ways to practice and improve your English, but please do NOT use translation into Spanish.. like translating songs, or trying to translate everything you listen to. You really have to push yourself to try to think in English, (which is one of the most dificult things to do).

Start with watching CNN International. Or something else, with NO subtitles... not EVEN in English. This, in order to practice your Listening Skill. If you have any kind of subtitles, even in English as well, you will not practice Listening. DVDs with no Subtitles...

Try to read some books in English, try the news on Internet, try using an English Dictionary, not a bilingual one.

And if you have any friends that speak English, dude, practice with them. Don't worry about your accent. You'll acquire it when you travel.

And obviously, taking an English course, won't hurt>D

Cheers mate

ChainGun:chino:

If you don't have the money to travel, the best way to learn is reading and watching TV. Try the news channels like fox or cnn, they are a bit more hard to understand, but as time goes on, you'll get to understand most of it.
I would suggest also having a friend or someone you talk to very often that speaks english also and want to practice with you.

Travelling to a country (and living there, at least for a while) where English is spoken as a native language, is certainly the best option, not only for those who need to learn the language, but also for those who want to improve their linguistic competence. However, there are many other ways to "expose" yourself to the language. Internet is actually one of the best sources, you can download videos, audio, texts, etc.... For instance, I recently downloaded a full English version of a beautiful book: "The Little Prince". I had already read that book when I was in high school, I thought it was so wonderful that I decided to read it again.... (this time in English, obviously ;))

See Ya
:cool:

All of you are right guys there are many ways to practice and improve your English... but everyone has a particular way to learn .. I like to read some books in English and to try news online to improve the vocabulary ..and the movies !! but for me one of the most important thing is to think in english ... I know it is dificult but actually it has worked a lot for me ... just do not translate into spanish .. It wont work.. and other good idea: get a friend to talk in english!!!:p

best regards

i did learn english (at least most of it) in videogames (believe it or not), and in TV shows, and i haven't go to another country (not with english like primary language).

PD: my post can be full of mistakes but you get the idea.

C U

-> Ariel <- dijo:
i did learn english (at least most of it) in videogames (believe it or not), and in TV shows, and i haven't go to another country (not with english like primary language).

PD: my post can be full of mistakes but you get the idea.

C U
Well, yeah... you certainly made some mistakes, but the overall is pretty good.
I could actually understand what you meant to say.
If you're learning English on your own, then you're doing great so far. You just need to improve your spelling and keep on practicing.

Keep Up ;)

:cool:

Well, here I come with my two cents. All I know about english was 'cause I like rock music and videogames. Videogames a lot.

Always I've see this forum and asked to myself:"¿why don't you try to share with the others your english and learn more :)? So, here I'am. I'd like to improve my english furthermore. I'll apreciate any corrections and tips. Thanks to all of you

Los últimos temas