English Thread!!!

Colombians > Clear pronunciation but costeños speak quite fast.
Mexicans > Heaps of slang
Argentinians > Che Che Che :)
Venezuelans > A little rougher than Colombians
Cubans > Havent had the priveledge
Peruvians > From Lima is pretty clear, else where is a little more difficult.
Chile > say what !?
Spain > ethais !?
equador > A little rough
E.E.U.U > very stylised, heavy mexican influence.

I would love you to see me struggling with all this too, you sound like a proud guy, who can translate !

My point was it depends on your base, and how you learnt it, as to the difficulty of the other languages.
They are all difficult. How much is not important at all, what is important is that we try to understand each others' point of view and culture, of which language is a big part.

lemolina dijo:
The equation, with your last words, is simple:

less difficulty English < Spanish < Cantonese more difficulty.

I would to see you trying to talk in spanish with a colombian, a mexican, an argentinian, a venezolan and a cuban.... and better than that, trying to understand them. :)

I agree, English is not that hard to learn and it's really far away from being the hardest language in the world, in fact, spanish grammar is much more complicated and it has much more variations. I've heard this from people who speak many languages.

Wow what was that.....
I couldn't Find the forum.....
Mr. Moderator is working very Hard.. trying to organize each forum....
But well I'm here again.....!

I have a joke:

MEMO for Spanish speaking From: General Management
To: All Spanish Employees

Several visitors to our office have brought to our attention that our Spanish-speaking employees commonly use offensive language. Such behavior, in addition to violating firm practices, is highly unprofessional, offensive both to visitors and employees, and will not be tolerated. Therefore, we have decided to implement a series of rules in our office and would expect them to be applied. It is expected that ALL employees immediately adhere to these rules:

1- Words like co.ño, ca.rajo, mi.erda, p.uta and other such expressions will not be used for emphasis, no matter how heated the discussion may get.

2- Non important matters should not be addressed to as p.endejadas or m.aricadas

3- You will not say la cagó when someone makes a mistake or use pobre p.endejo if you see someone being reprimended. All forms and derivatives of the word cagar are inappropriate in our environment.

4- Lack of determination will not be referred to as falta de h.uevas, nor will a person with lack of initiative be referred to as h.uevón, or p.endejo.

5- No Manager or Supervisor, under any circumstances, will be referred to as ese hijuep.uta, ese c.abrón, ese m.alparido, or ese m.aricón.

6- When a good proposal is presented, the term esto está de la v.erga must not be used.

7- Unusual or creative brainstorming meetings will not be referred to as p.ajazos mentales.

8- Do not say que hijuep.uta pa' joder if a person is persistent, or se j.odió if somebody is going through a difficult situation. Furthermore, you must not say que j.oda, or que m.ierda esta when matters become complicated in your line of work.

9- When asking someone to leave you alone, you should not say vete pa'l c.arajo or vayase pa' la m.ierda, nor will you substitute ¿que c.arajo quieres? For "may I help you?"

10-When leaving the office, using the term me voy pa'l c.arajo is not proper.

11-When any office equipment fails; it must be reported as "it broke down", not se dañó la m.ierda esta, or se j.odió la m.ierda esta.

12-Last but not least, after reading this memo, please do not say me voy a limpiar el c.ulo con esto. Just keep it clean and file properly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

English is in theory easier than Spanish but not that much, phrasal verbs for example can be killers for native romance-languages speakers (say French or Spanish), also some words tend to confuse, for example actually is not "actualmente" and apologize is not "apologizar" but lots of people get confused by that, that's specially noticeable when reading certain translations.

There are so many grammar books that explain the difference between IN, ON and AT very well. American English and British English use these words in different ways. It can be a little bit confusing.

Oesoto dijo:
There are so many grammar books that explain the difference between IN, ON and AT very well. American English and British English use these words in different ways. It can be a little bit confusing.
So why dont u explain to us?

IN is used for objects or people that are inside of some place, i´m IN the car, but, if you say "he is in the hospital" you are refering to a pacient. If you say "he is AT the hospital" you are refering to a doctor, nurse, etc.
IN: I live in Bogotá (is a superficial place)
ON: I live in Bogotá on 72 street
AT: I live at 72 street # 52-84 (is the exact place)
I don´t know if I am in a mistake, please inform me if I am in a mistake...thanks

It's not only the particle that confuses, it gets worse when used as a phrasal verb (as I said), English might not be Polish, Russian or Chinese, but it's not as easy as people try to make it seem. It might be "easier" because we have to do with it everyday directly or indirectly.

Los últimos temas